Pink lady knits

2.23.2009

Bubble and Squeak

Bubble and Squeak is a traditional English Pub food...consisting of whatever veg and root veg is on hand all par-cooked and then fried up in a shallow pan. Mmmm Mmmm Good.

This is a different bubble and squeak all together...the pattern is "Bubble Pullover" by Norah Gaughan, and the squeak is me having a ball knitting it. I'm using the ever-delicious Malabrigo Merino Worsted in "Lettuce" and size 9 needles to create this puppy and let me just say, I'm smitten. The pattern consists of 8 pentagons which are knit onto each other to form a sweater. You have to see it to believe it, the way Norah's mind works is amazing!

I'm thoroughly enjoying the process, but I'm scared about fit. I actually did a swatch in the medium size (which is rare for me) and found that my initial pentagon was HUGE at 13.5". Which when multiplied by 4 (I was told that was the secret to determining the bust circumfrence) came in at a whopping 54" bust. There was just no way.

So, I ripped back and have re-swatched at the smallest size (not just one swatch people, but TWO SWATCHES!) and now have a pentagon width of 11.5 inches, which will result in a 46" bust, which sounds just right based on the amount of ease recommended in the pattern. I'm more concerned about my hips though (as usual) and there isn't a great way to determine what that measurement will be since it's the ribbing portion of the sweater. I'm looking at it from the perspective that ribbing is stretchy, and therefore, forgiving. Let's all hope I'm right.

No comments: