My very first project spectrum project, and it's grey to match the weather.
I came across some 100% Alpaca in charcoal grey when I was browsing A.C. Moore, and I knew my husband would love it. What's even better, is that is was on sale for $3.50 a ball, which means this hat was only $7, as I needed just over one ball to complete it.
My husband has a very large head (and an equally large brain to fill it) and because of this, has a very hard time finding hats that fit him. Because I have a similar problem (a teeny tiny head) I took pity on him, and measured his head, did a gauge swatch and cast on. I did a 3x1 rib stitch for 10 rows, and then a row of purl, repeated that two times, then switched to stockingnette stitch and began the decreases. He loves it because it keeps his head warm and is very soft...but most importantly, it fits!
(Yeah, sorry, he is camera shy!)