Pink lady knits

9.18.2006

Jaywalkers II

Pattern: Jaywalker, by the lovely and talented Grumperina
Yarn: Lisa Souza sock yarn in "Little Devil"
Needles: #2 Brittany Birch DPN's
Special Information: These are my September contribution to Knit the Classics. The book this month was The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. The book is exceptional, I adore it and have read it about 5 times already (though not all in this month alone!)
The primary reason I chose this pattern for this book because I felt that the zig-zagging lines mimicked the way poor Henry was always jumping from time and place to time and place. When viewed alone, each journey seems arbitrary. However, viewed as a whole, we see the pattern of these journeys and how they composed his and Clare's lives.
The secondary reason I chose this pattern was the emphasis put on the fact that Henry was always barefoot when he arrived in his unknown locations (naked completely, in fact.) These socks would have been the thing to save him when he arrived in the parking garage, and I only wish he could have had them then, when he needed them most.
Finally, I chose this yarn because red is the color of love, and at the conclusion of this book, love is what I took away most. Gut-wrenching, heart-tearing, mind-numbing love...just the kind I like!
Pattern and Notes: I LOVE THIS PATTERN! It is an easy, quick knit. It looks wonderful no matter what yarn I knit it in. It isn't overly feminine or masculine, but that perfect middle-ground where the project can be knit for somone of either gender. Please, knit this pattern, you won't regret it!
ETA: My Mother-in-Law has teeninesy little feet, so if these look a little funny, that's probably why. She wears a 5.5 and her feet are narrow as can be, so these look like a pair of socks knit for a child!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Socks!

tatjana said...

Those look so teensy and cute! You're right, it is a nice pattern, and yours look especially great :) btw...I forgot to answer your question about the handspun. Once I figure out if I have enough yardage, I'd really like to make a scarf, something I can wear often :)

Courtney said...

Tatjana,
Thanks! I could only photograph them from the top because they were obviously to small when viewed from the side! I love the pattern and it is an easy knit, so perfect for Christmas gifts when the list keeps piling up!
I don't blame you, I'd love to have a scarf made of my own handspun. Then, when people ask you about it you can say "I spun the yarn and then knit the scarf"....that takes it to a whole other level!

Kathy said...

Wicked socks!!! Love the yarn and beautifully executed!

Courtney said...

thanks so much! :)

Anonymous said...

lovely socks! you are in the "socks galore" mode!

Courtney said...

thanks!
yeah, I am kinda obsessed with them, huh?
I blame it on living in a cold climate...yeah, that's it!